Filter type 'appbytes' behavior unexpected

John Gerth gerth at graphics.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 7 02:43:54 EDT 2013

I believe this is the correct behavior.

The way to think about this is that the field names used in "-s " specifications
do not have the same meaning as the field names in the pcap-like filters.

In filter fields, they follow the tcpdump convention where an unqualified name means "either".
For example, "host fred" means "src host fred or dst host fred".

In "-s " specifications, qualified names are single tokens as in sappbytes and dappbytes.
and an unqualified name like appbytes for a count field means "aggregate"

I have tripped over this myself in the past and casually imagined various extensions, but
the design is not obvious and implementation could be tricky so one would want
to be careful.

/J