gzip, bzip2 and xz

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue Nov 19 10:21:37 EST 2013

Hey Jesper,
We can add very easily, if there is a library, and an easy way to detect the type of compression.
In the routine ArgusReadConnection(), when we start to read a file or a stream, we test the first set of bytes to see if the stream is compressed.  Currently we just call bzip2.1, gzip.1 or zcat.1, based on the test.  If xz can fit into this type of strategy, then easy to add.

Is there a magic.5 type of entry for xz files ??? That’s the best test if this type of strategy can work.

Carter