question re ARGUS_GENERATE_APPBYTE_METRIC

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Mar 13 19:03:42 EDT 2013

Hey Jim,
The appbytes metrics allow you to measure effective load, while the
bytes metrics are all about total load, which includes all the various
headers needed to be on the wire.  Normally you use " effective / total "
to provide you with an indication of efficiency, or goodput vs throughput.
" Took how many bytes to transmit a 1MB file ? "   With retransmissions,
small MTU and lots of encapsulation overhead,  the efficiency can go
down, pretty quick.

" Bytes per time period " is not a common metric to track compared to
" Load " which is in bits / sec.  Reason is, the former demands that you
divide your metrics into fixed time periods, and the later is something of
a normalization of demand over time ( just divide load by duration ).  Nice
thing is, the argus clients tools allow you a lot of flexibility.

To do " bytes per time period ", you will want to use rabins() to get the
metrics into the time period you are interested in (-M time xxx option) ,
you will want to aggregate the data into the network objects you're interested
in (something like '-m saddr daddr proto dport' ), and be sure and respect
the bi-directional indicators to retain the client / server semantics, say using
filters.

If you have any problems getting the numbers you want, just send email.

Carter