Direction and IP/TCP timeout settings

Craig Merchant cmerchant at responsys.com
Mon Jul 15 17:34:35 EDT 2013

The DNA/libzero drivers only allow a single process to connect to the "queues" that the pfdnacluster_master app presents.  The default version of their app will allow you to copy the same flow to multiple queues, but then we'd need to run 28 snort instances and 28 argus instances.  From my experience, Argus wasn't burning that much CPU, so I opted to take advantage of the work Chris Wakelin did in modifying pfdnacluster_master so that it created a single queue with a copy of all the traffic.

Here's the weird thing...  When argus is listening to the dna0 interface directly, it's CPU probably runs at 30-40%.  But when I run it on the pfdnacluster_master queue, the CPU probably runs at about half that.

Yet when I look at the count of flow records for running Argus on the DNA interface vs the pfdnacluster_master queue, the volume of records is about the same.  It's tough to test though because our traffic volume is pretty variable depending on when customers launch their campaigns.  The only way to test it for sure would be to wire the second 10g interface into the Gigamon tap, send a copy of the traffic there, and then run one instance of argus on the interface and one on pfdnacluster_master and compare them.

Is it possible that radium is getting overwhelmed?  The two argi that it connects to probably do an aggregate volume of 5-15 Gbps...  Since there is a fair bit of traffic between data centers, the dedup features of radium are helpful.  If so, how do I troubleshoot that?

I might be able to put a copy of the non-pf_ring ixgbe driver on the sensor and see how that impacts things.

Thanks for all your help!

Craig