Direction and IP/TCP timeout settings

Russ Harvey russ-harvey at ucr.edu
Mon Jul 15 12:58:49 EDT 2013

Thanks Carter,
Am I mistaken in remembering argus 2 showed '<->' for completed flows, that is,
flows in which the SYN SYNACK packets were seen as well as ending FIN/ACK. I
could thus distinguish legitimate traffic from traffic in which a scanner sends
a SYN but a server does not respond (which also is evidenced by zero packets
from the server).

I obviously need to adjust my thinking, but I still have a question about
distinguishing legitimate traffic from standard port scans and other types of
noise. With http, for example, I have a server that should not initiate
connections on it own, but merely act as an http server and respond to requests
only on ports 80 and 443. There is a potential security problem if the http
server initiates connections. However, if I look at archived argus 3 records
using something like `src host X.X.X.X' I see lots of activity with my server as
source host, '->' in the direction field, and both source and destination packets
recorded in those fields. I am pretty sure this server is not initiating
traffic but merely responding to http and https requests, so I don't understand
what argus is reporting. Do I have a misconception about how http works?

Also, as mentioned before, I see a lot of 'd' and a few 's' flags set, though I
suppose those could be retransmissions instead of dropped destination and source
packets?

Thanks again Carter,
--russ