grouping incoming http requests by subnet?

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Jan 31 13:48:02 EST 2013

Hey Jim,
The -B option specifies a time buffer for time aligning input records.
In this case, its telling rabins() that after however many seconds, you can assume no more input is coming for that time range.  So it shouldn't have to wait for EOF before processing the bin'ed caches.

Its a way of telling rabins() that the input stream is somewhat sorted.

Without the -B, rabins() just aligns the input records to the bin structures, processes the input (default is to aggregate) and holds the bin structures in memory, until the input is finished, and It can jst belch out its caches.

With the -B option, your telling rabins() that the data is quasi sorted, and that the longest period of ' out of order ' is so many seconds.  Rabins() knows then, that, it can process and shift a given time bin out of memory, because that bins input is done.

Is that helpful ?

Carter