grouping incoming http requests by subnet?

James A. Robinson jim.robinson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 12:55:48 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Carter Bullard <carter at qosient.com> wrote:
> Hmmm, my fault, I left out the -B option.  Try adding a -B 10s, assuming
> your argus record status time is 5-10 seconds ?

I'm sorry for what may be silly question, but what does -B do?  I've worked
through the manpages to break down your example, and I don't see -B listed
in either ra(1) or rabins(1), is there a 3rd manpage I ought to be
referring to?

Jim

Example #1:

rabins -S localhost:9601 -B 10s -M time 1m -m saddr/24 daddr/24 -w - - tcp
and port 80 | \
  rasort -m trans -N 25 -s stime dur trans saddr dir daddr spkts dpkts
sbytes dbytes

rabins -- reads argus data from a source and adjust the data so that
it is aligned into a set of bins, or slots.

  -S localhost:9601 -- read from the specified remote source
  -B 10s            -- ?record status time option of some sort?
  -M time 1m        -- split into 1 minute bins
  -m saddr/24       -- aggregate on source address class C network
  -w -              -- stream output data to stdout
  - tcp and port 80 -- only aggregate TCP packets arriving on port 80

rasort -- sort argus data

  -m trans -- sort by aggreation record count
  -N 25    -- process the first 25 records
  -s stime dur tran saddr dir daddr spkts dkpts sbytes dbytes
           -- report output fields