Memory Throttling and Big O Impact of "filter"

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Feb 4 09:53:03 EST 2013

Hey dn1nj4,
Two things in your email, but the big ticket is that I think you may need to drop the " -M rmon " from your command.

Your question first:
The concept of the idle timer is to push inactive flows out of the cache, and it is the best way to cap memory.
You are basically aggregating within a 10 minute (600s) sliding window.  It generally will provide the best data reduction,
but if there is a later record that should be merged into one of the inactive flows, then the aggregation doesn't really work.
There will be multiple records for a given key, thus incomplete aggregation.

Using mysql as a backing cache does do very well.  You run rasqlinsert() with your aggregation key,
and tell it to use a database as a cache, and when its done, you have a database table of your aggregated flows that you can use rasql() to read, create your file, and then your done.

   rasqlinsert -m saddr proto sport -M cache -w mysql://user@localhost/db/tempTable
   rasql -r mysql://user@localhost/db/tempTable -w argus.outfile

OK, with regard to your " -M rmon ".  This is a method for giving your relevant data that pertains to a single object.
So, just for clarity, with a single flow like this:

   tcp X.xport -> Y.yport

with your aggregation, the -M rmon option will generate these two records:

   tcp X xport yport
   tcp Y yport xport

and tally them.  I do this type of aggregation, but I always limit the keys to the Src side of the metrics.
What are you trying to track ?

Carter