Does Argus support RST state in UDP flow?

el draco eldraco at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 10:39:42 EDT 2013

Hi Rahimeh.

Ok, so:
UDP with reset, could be find as I tell you in the last email.
UDP timeout (filtered port) is difficult, because UDP does not enforce
you to answer. So, you can not tell the difference between filtered
port (timeout) and open port (timeout). That's why nmap says
open|filtered when you scaned a udp port like that. You can be sure
that the port is open if you see some packets back. But that is not
always the case. (nmap tries to talk the exact protocol to enforce an
answer)
UDP that responds erros. This depends on what you consider an error
and is not something you can expect to be on a flow. Argus may help
here if you
store the payload of the connection. But i think it will be a manual job.

I'm not sure how argus creates UDP flows, maybe Carter can tell you or
it is in the code.
I think it is getting the 5-tupple
srchost-srcport-dsthost-dstport-proto . But I'm not developing it.

cheers
sebas