Collecting Cisco netflow logs in argus format

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Aug 1 08:38:01 EDT 2013

Hey Desmond,
In your case why not just use radium to collect the nf data ???
If your on the " nfHostAddr " and the nf is going to " nfPort ", this
works:

   radium -S cisco://nfHostAddr:nfport -P 561

And any ra() program can now read that nf stream at localhost:561

If your looking for both the general flow data from the interface as
well as the nf stream, you can run argus on the same interface,
to get the general flow information, and radium can collect that
argus data, as well as the netflow data.

   argus -i interface -P 562 -d
   radium -S localhost:562 -S cisco://nfHostAddr:nfPort -P 561 -d

Then ra() can read them both

   ra -S localhost:561

You'll see multiple argus record srcid's, and some records will have
the pomiinent 'N' in the flgs fields, for netflow.

You can set all this up in the various /etc/[argus | radium].conf files....

The use case to use argus to parse netflow from packet contents
is when you can't be on the netflow target host, and you have to
grab the netflow stream say from a port mirror.

Holler if this doesn't work or if something else is bothering you !!!!
We can still turn on the netflow support, if this isn't working for you.

Carter