setArgusDevice: pcap_findalldevs SIOCGIFFLAGS: bonding_masters: No such device

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Oct 22 11:16:25 EDT 2012

Hey John,
We make several assumptions about the interfaces we're going to monitor,
like non-blocking etc…. but I don't test on many of the ' different ' types of
interfaces, like bonding.  If tcpdump is doing the right thing, then argus should
be able to do the same, as we're just users of libpcap.

Truth is, …,  tcpdump doesn't call pcap_findalldevs() in its normal functions.
We do it more out of convenience than anything else, but we make ioctl
calls (just like pcap_findalldevs() does ) with SIOCGIFFLAGS to find out
if our interfaces are up.  This is not critical to argus function, but has become
important when dealing with wireless interfaces, so we can keep up with
when they should be monitored etc….

Centos is on my standard list of machines for testing, but I run it in a VM, so
don't have many bonding opportunities.

Can you point me to a description of what this bonding_master is all about?

Carter