Request for improvement

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Tue Oct 16 11:03:32 EDT 2012

I'm working on a project the design of which is to insert datetime, srcip,
dstip, srcport,dstport, sbytes,dbytes,state into a db.

We'll right a front end for this in php (probably) that allows us to answer
questions like when was the first time this IP talked to a host on our
network and what host was it.

Since the data are very small, searches should be very fast.

Along with that, we want to design it so that once you've located that
initial conversation, you can pull up the packets from the argus files (we
won't be storing payloads in the db) and view the actual payload so you can
figure out what a host is up to.

So, we can take the info in the db and do something like this:

ra -t yyyy/mm/dd.HH:MM:SS -r /path/to/argus/file - host x.x.x.x and return
the payloads for that host for that second (or time range)

In testing the -t switch I found it to be very fast in searching for the
records, but there was something interesting about it.  Once it had found
all the records, ra didn't exit.  It continued to search.

ISTM the software ought to be able to do something like this;

search for records with a certain timestamp
once it has a return, continue searching until 10 sequential records don't
match, then exit.

Since timestamps are sequential, there's no point in continuing the search
once they're found.  There's not going to be any more.

I'm not a programmer, but I imagine this wouldn't be too hard to code up -
unless I'm unaware of some quirk that would make it very difficult.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst