argus and Netflow

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Wed Nov 28 15:19:49 EST 2012

	In addition you need to consider that it used to be (and I expect still
is) that netflow at 10 gigs was statistical rather than all flows (or at least
all flows the hardware can process :-)) with argus. This may or may not affect
your output. At my former employer we were running Enterasys's DSCC product
(which is based on argus like qradar data). When we fed it netflow data from
flow based (i.e. argus like) switches it was happy, when we fed it netflow
from our 10 gig router (statstistical) the correlation engine tossed up so
many false positives (presumably because of missing flow data from the
sampling) that it was unusable. In addition netflow collection is adding load
to your router that I think culd be better used for routing. Argus on a network
tap causes no impact on your production network. Just a couple of points to
consider ...

Peter Van Epp