mysql database organization and schema

Phillip Deneault deneault at WPI.EDU
Thu Jun 28 12:39:58 EDT 2012

On 6/26/2012 3:31 AM, John Gerth wrote:
> To minimize data movement, I try to store flow fields in whatever DB type minimizes
> its storage.

In this same vein, I used PostgreSQL to better handle MAC addresses and
IPv6 addresses and subnets as native types.

> Using MySQL partitioning looks like it's worth trying, especially if you hoping
> to keep up with a 10G link.

It was in Postgres, especially for queries.  One thing I noticed (and
this might not carry over into Mysql, or even Postgres anymore since it
was so long ago), was that INSERTS directly into a partition table went
faster than waiting for the various constraint checks when inserting
into the main table, and when performing bulk inserts you prefer that to
go as quickly as possible.

I had my tables organized by date, which made deletes on old data faster
too... DROP TABLE. :-)

Phil