mysql db(sport and dport data type)

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Sun Jun 24 10:53:17 EDT 2012

Hey CS Lee,
This request is in line with the need to insert IP addrs as integers, so that  masking and
range selection can be done easily for addresses.  Now you can specify the type on the
RA_FIELD_SPECIFIER line in your rarc file.
    RA_FIELD_SPECIFIER="stime flgs proto saddr::%u"

to print the src IP address as an unsigned int. You can do this with any field, many will
convert based on this directive, some will not (how to convert the label to an int ?)

Ports are defined as 'var char' because someone can insert the string from /etc/services
into the database.  Its just the use of -n that defines whether it will be a string or a number.

Now, with all of that, the basic support to do what you want to do is there, (specifying fields
as different data types), but what is missing is the automatic table generation piece.

To modify that, all you need to do is modify  ./common/argus_util.h to  something like this:
osiris:clients carter$ diff -c ./include/argus_util.h ./include/argus_util.h.new
*** ./include/argus_util.h	Tue Jun 19 17:47:38 2012
--- ./include/argus_util.h.new	Sun Jun 24 10:43:34 2012
***************
*** 692,700 ****
  #define ARGUSPRINTPROTO			9
     { "proto", "", 6 , 1, 0, ARGUSPRINTPROTO, ArgusPrintProto, ArgusPrintProtoLabel, "varchar(16) not null", 0},
  #define ARGUSPRINTSRCPORT		10
!    { "sport", "", 6 , 1, 0, ARGUSPRINTSRCPORT, ArgusPrintSrcPort, ArgusPrintSrcPortLabel, "varchar(10) not null", 0},
  #define ARGUSPRINTDSTPORT		11
!    { "dport", "", 6 , 1, 0, ARGUSPRINTDSTPORT, ArgusPrintDstPort, ArgusPrintDstPortLabel, "varchar(10) not null", 0},
  #define ARGUSPRINTSRCTOS		12
     { "stos", "", 5 , 1, 0, ARGUSPRINTSRCTOS, ArgusPrintSrcTos, ArgusPrintSrcTosLabel, "tinyint unsigned", 0},
  #define ARGUSPRINTDSTTOS		13
--- 692,700 ----
  #define ARGUSPRINTPROTO			9
     { "proto", "", 6 , 1, 0, ARGUSPRINTPROTO, ArgusPrintProto, ArgusPrintProtoLabel, "varchar(16) not null", 0},
  #define ARGUSPRINTSRCPORT		10
!    { "sport", "", 6 , 1, 0, ARGUSPRINTSRCPORT, ArgusPrintSrcPort, ArgusPrintSrcPortLabel, "smallint unsigned", 0},
  #define ARGUSPRINTDSTPORT		11
!    { "dport", "", 6 , 1, 0, ARGUSPRINTDSTPORT, ArgusPrintDstPort, ArgusPrintDstPortLabel, "smallint unsigned", 0},
  #define ARGUSPRINTSRCTOS		12
     { "stos", "", 5 , 1, 0, ARGUSPRINTSRCTOS, ArgusPrintSrcTos, ArgusPrintSrcTosLabel, "tinyint unsigned", 0},
  #define ARGUSPRINTDSTTOS		13

Just make sure that you don't print out the port strings when you insert the data.
Even though we print the icmp port numbers as hex values, mysql should read them no problem.

I'll be putting the automatic table schema data type changes in argus-clients-3.0.7
Hope this is helpful !!!!

Carter