What happened to anomaly detection/packet dynamics? Are there clients?

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Jun 1 09:37:37 EDT 2012

Hey Matt,
Anomaly detection is a very large topic, but the principal concept in argus is to provide
a good number of generic tools, so you can build your own anomaly detectors.  So,
we use the Unix strategy of small programs (sorting, printing, filtering, translation, conversion,
aggregation) and piping, native file systems, curses examples, with dbm support etc……

So what anomaly do you want to detect ?  Do you want to know when a vital resource
successfully transfers data to an address that is outside its normal group of machines?
Do you want to find out once a day, in real-time?

That's pretty trivial and we have multiple ways of doing it.   Use racluster() to build the
list of acceptable addresses from an argus archive (behavioral baselining) , then use
rafilteraddr() with that list, connected to a live argus data feed, to spit out records from
machines outside the group.  Pipe that to ra() with a decent filter, like " icmp or app bytes
gt 0 ", and you should get a list of machines outside the acceptable list that got responses
from your vital asset.

Or use rasqlinsert() to build a read only database of the historical IP addresses, or
you can use rasqlinsert() to dynamically insert IP addresses into a table of acceptable IPs.
Then use a modified rasqlinsert() with the "-M cache" option, to tell you when it would
want to INSERT a record, which is your alarm / alert that something outside the acceptable
group tried to touch your machine.  You can do that for IP's, ethernets, combinations of
both, or whatever.    Of course you would have to put some decent conditionals on this so you
would get a decent alarm, but its pretty straight forward.

But anomaly detection is different from analysis.  Anomaly detection is detection of
a condition outside of a normal state.  Analysis is not so specific.  I have to ask,
what do you want to analyze?

Secondary impact of DDoS on end system availability?  Well that is just racluster().
The presence of DDoS, well that isn't very interesting, but " what was the population
of IP's that were using this system, 20 minutes prior to the DDoS? "  Well that is
rasql() (if you were doing the IP address strategy above) with a time filter, piped
into racluster() with a decent filter to pick out flows that are transferring data.
pipe that into racluster() to formulate the /24 CIDR network addresses, and you
should have a list of remote class C ip addresses that were good, which you can
blow into your firewall for a little while.

I suspect that there are hundreds of these things, especially if there are hundreds of sites.

But the important question to you is,  What do you want to do?

Many people want the project to tell them what to do, but in this space, IMHO, that
isn't really successful.  You need to have an idea of what is important to your specific
site, and then you find tools that can help you get there.

So, what do you want to do?

Carter