Bug in direction?

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue Jul 31 08:50:18 EDT 2012

Hey Rafael,
You make some good points.  I think we should use a ' ? ' to indicate that the TCP state based direction overides are not being used on this flow.  These are obvious TCP errors / spoofs, so better to have the TCP based direction not be reported. Now, if there were data or connection closing packets seen, then we would have a better idea that we're seeing a half-duplex connection, and the direction logic should kick in.  Of course  in this case there are also spoofs which make the direction erroneous, so not always clear what to do here.  Because the clients make the direction decision, maybe have a switch to turn the logic off ?

The important thing, IMO, is that we don't miss label the flow.
You start looking for flows where ' src net x.y.z.0/24 ' and because they flipped a bit in the packet, you don't see the activity. That drives me crazy.

So, we'll report ' ?> ' in this case of lone SYN_ACK packets, and leave the direction to represent wire direction.  I'll put it in the next release patch, and put it in the next dev release.

Carter