argus-clients-3.0.5.30 now available

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Jan 23 22:31:52 EST 2012

Gentle people,
The new clients development thread, argus-clients-3.0.5.30 is on the server:

   http://qosient.com/argus/dev/argus-clients.latest.tar.gz

This has changes  to address issues with password obfuscation in the user data buffers,
when printed in ASCII.  There are changes in support/Config/rarc, ra.1 manpages, and
the client library, to change the default printing behavior.

Consider updating your ~/.rarc file with the example in ./support/Config/rarc.

We are no longer obfuscating by default.  We now have an ARGUS_ASCII_OBFUSCATE
printer that can be specified on the command-line (-M printer=<printer>) or in the rarc
config files, that will do password obfuscation, and do a better job than before.

This version has many fixes to ratop.1, and some minor fixes for all the clients
Radium got some attention for a problem with tracking remote clients that don't send
any greeting strings (like scanners).

We've added port range filtering, so this type of filter now works.

   ra -r file - udp port 23-512

There is a need for the range to not have any spaces in them, as the token "-"
by itself is an arithmetic operator. I'll need to upgrade argus to understand the
new filters, so if you try this and argus returns with "remote filter error",  use the "local"
keyword before the filter, so that ra* doesn't send the filter to the remote argus.

   ra -S argus - local udp port 23-512

I've added these to the ra.1 manpage.

There should be an new argus-3.0.5.10 coming out next, to match the filter changes,
and that contains some minor fixes.  I hope to have that out later this week.

Thanks for all the help !!!!!!!!

CEO/President
QoSient, LLC
150 E. 57th Street Suite 12D