Argus and clients on Mac OS X Lion

David Edelman dedelman at iname.com
Sat Jan 7 00:30:56 EST 2012

I was not happy with creating a parallel universe of MacPort components on
my OS X Lion system. There is actually a simple command that removes the
material that is installed using MacPorts and provides you with the
opportunity to do it the hard way.,

I was able to download, build and install ncurses from the GNU
distributions. I was much less successful with readline and after several
false starts Google led me to this which does work (YMMV)

curl ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/readline/readline-5.0.tar.gz | tar xfz -
cd readline-5.0
./configure
cd shlib
sed -e 's/-dynamic/-dynamiclib/' Makefile > Makefile.good
mv Makefile.good Makefile
cd ..
make && sudo make install
sudo rm /usr/lib/libreadline*
sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libreadline* /usr/lib/

I rebuild the argus-clients from scratch starting with make clean;
./configure; make; and make install. I am happy to say that it is all
working well including ratop. The true measure of success is that CPAN has
command history recall and there is a shot that Ruby will also play
nicely. The next windmill in like is GTK and all of its bits and pieces so
that I can get keepnote to work.

--Dave