Huge argus files and racluster

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Wed Feb 8 21:08:43 EST 2012

<snip>

> The second one is more of a philosophical issue, and now I'm wondering
> whether argus is really the tool I need for the task. Basically, since
> I need to determine incoming/outgoing bandwidth usage, I'm using
> "ragraph sbytes dbytes" to produce the graphics. If every flow is
> initiated from the LAN being monitored (say, 192.168.44.0/24), then
> "sbytes" effectively indicates the amount of physically outgoing data,
> and "dbytes" effectively indicates the amount of physically incoming
> data, so the resulting graph is an accurate representation of in/out
> bandwidth usage over time. But if there are externally-initiated flows
> (as in my case) along with internally-initiated ones, then "sbytes"
> will aggregate a mixture of data leaving and entering the network,
> depending on who initiated the flow being considered. The same happens
> for "dbytes". What this means is that a "ragraph sbytes dbytes" isn't
> really representing bandwidth usage in the two directions (the
> aggregate value "bytes" is still correct, but doesn't give any detail
> about what's outgoing and what's incoming).
> So obviously this isn't argus' fault, but I'm wondering whether
> there's a way to do what I'm looking for (with argus or another tool).
> It's also possible that I'm missing something obvious.
>
> Thanks again for the quick replies and your patience.

	You aren't missing anything obvious :-) but argus is a good tool for
monitoring bandwidth (I used it to do so for more than 10 years before I
retired). There are a few tricks needed thats all. You have found the most
important one, that argus is layer3 and source and destination (at least by
default) don't bear any relation to physical in and out. However if you add
the -m flag to your argus (to preserve MAC addresses in the argus records
which are off by default) you can then use the RMON settings along with a
source filter (because RMON reports every connection twice, once for source
and once for dest) to tie src and dest to the needed layer2 direction.
Basically (Carter can give you the incantations, I used perl scripts rather
than the modern clients :-)) convert to RMON and filter on src (or dst if you
choose but only one or the other not both) on your gateway's MAC address
to convert src to out from your network (or in to your network) and then pass
that data to the analysis clients that you want to use. Although I don't think
you can use the clients to do this, the perl scripts read ra data and knowing
what address blocks belong to our network swapped the src and destination
records so that the resulting data was layer 2 corret. This may be useful
(and possibly your only choice) if you had a large bridged domain (i.e. not a
single or a couple of gateway MACs) in your data.

Peter Van Epp