License headers in argus and argus-clients sources

Jan Matějek jmatejek at suse.com
Thu Apr 12 09:31:46 EDT 2012

hello,

Dne 12.4.2012 13:13, Carter Bullard napsal(a):
> Hey Jan,
> I've corrected the errant headers. Regarding the files that have BSD headers
> mentioned in the Novell bugzilla report you referenced:  I don't have a Novell
> account so I can't see the bugzilla reference that you included.  Could you list
> the files that need to be reviewed?  I'll make the appropriate changes today.

there is quite a lot of them, just grep for "advertising materials".

I'm not completely sure whether you can just remove those headers - if the files
in question are really based on BSD 4-clause licensed code, it might be that you
would have to rewrite/remove the code or relicense the rest of it. Or say that
the license is "GPL with exception for some files" ... i don't know, IANAL.
Perhaps it is possible to ignore/drop the advertising clause, Berkeley
apparently allows that. Not sure about CMU though.

Of course, if all the code is pretty much yours anyway, it should not be a problem.

see:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#OriginalBSD
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatIsCompatible
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html