Removing possibly unused metadata?

MN m.newton at stanford.edu
Fri Nov 4 14:46:29 EDT 2011

Formerly, for data that we kept long-term, rounding time stamps to the
nearest 1/4 or 1/8 of a second reduced entropy sufficiently to make a
significant difference in compressed file sizes (this will not help on
non-compressed argus files).  I can send the old code if desired, but
it was for an older version of Argus.

Now we save our longer term data in ascii format, saving just the fields
that we want, and using a combination of -p and RA_TIME_FORMAT.

Consider using xz instead of bzip2, especially if you look at the log
files frequently, as the decompression time is significantly less - at
the cost of longer compression times.  Note xz defaults to '-6'.

We've been keeping more than a years worth of data on roughly ten 1-4g/s
links.

- mike