Flow direction

Huy N. Hang hangh at cs.ucr.edu
Sun May 22 11:55:40 EDT 2011

Hi Carter,

My apologies for not being clear. I haven't seen any inconsistencies yet.
I was only wondering as to why the dir field might say "<-" to indicate
flow direction from destination to source.

You actually have answered my question very clearly. Thanks very much!

> Hey Huy,
> The best way to discuss what may appear to be inconsistencies, is to
> provide examples.
> So if you have some specific records that don't seem right, please include
> them in your
> email.
>
> There are two fundamentals regarding the src and dst assignments for a
> flow record.
> 1) the fields assignments are the primary indication of direction, 2) the
> "dir" field attempts
> to show confidence (presence of '?') and the basic flow of information.
>
> Here is an example:
>
>       StartTime Flgs  Proto      SrcAddr  Sport Dir        DstAddr  Dport
> SrcPkts DstPkts SrcBytes DstBytes State
> 09:52:52.330762  e &    tcp   10.0.1.106.53226  <?> 216.92.197.167.imaps
>     34      18     5684     6505   CON
>

> Here the Src and Dst assignments are correct, but the confidence "<?>" is
> very low.  When the confidence is low,
> the arrows will indicate the direction of any traffic in the flow.
>
>       StartTime Flgs  Proto      SrcAddr  Sport Dir        DstAddr  Dport
> SrcPkts DstPkts SrcBytes DstBytes State
> 09:57:35.933576  e      tcp   10.0.1.106.49246   ->       10.0.1.1.afpove
>      2       2      148      148   CON
>
> Here the Src and Dst assignments are correct, confidence is very high "
> ->".  When the confidence is high,
> the dir field indicates the direction.
>
> Usually when the dir is "<- " we know that all the flags are saying the
> Src and Dst assignments are correct
> based on the protocol state, or whatever, but we've never seen traffic in
> the correct direction.
>
> Do you have any examples that seem inconsistent?
>
> Carter
>
> On May 21, 2011, at 8:40 PM, Huy N. Hang wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm starting to wonder about the dir field produced by ra.
>>
>> Since it actually shows the direction of the flow in the case of TCP,
>> and
>> it can even be "<-", do the field names "SrcAddr" and "DstAddr" remain
>> significant in that case?
>>
>> I mean, if SrcAddr is where the flow originates, does the dir field "<-"
>> not contradict that?
>>
>> Thanks!

I swear to all that is holy that one day,
I shall use Elvish and/or Klingon alphabets
to name the variables in my research papers!
Revenge can never be more elegant or sweet!
Huy N. Hang, Ph.D. student,
Department of Computer Science and Engineering.
U.C. Riverside