ralabel and geolocation data

Will Urbanski urbanski at vt.edu
Fri May 6 09:21:14 EDT 2011

I have been experimenting using ralabel to add geolocation data to argus
feeds. I have been using the ARIN delegations file and the MaxMind GeoIP
library. The ARIN delegations file is nice because it adds the country code
directly the argus file, but the MaxMind GeoIP library has much more detail
regarding the location.

I have noticed a couple things about the ARIN file. First, the ARIN, LACNIC,
RIPENCC, APNIC, etc all have a very similar delegation file format. I have
tried cating all these delegation files together and using this with ralabel
but it is VERY slow (takes over 18 hours to process a 147MB file,
unsuccessfully). Next, you can get similar country code data from MaxMind,
and the MaxMind API is extremely fast, but unfortunately ralabel appends
this data to the scity= and dcity= tags in the label and does not use the
internal sco and dco fields.

My questions are:

1) Are there any efficient ways to put county code information in a file
with ralabel using a combination of all the delegations files (ARIN, LACNIC,
RIPENCC, APNIC, etc)

2) Are there any ways to put county code information (sco, dco) in a file
with ralabel using the MaxMind GeoIP database?

Thanks in advance,

-Will