pid files...

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Jun 27 21:50:08 EDT 2011

Hey Russell,
When we moved to multiple pid files per interface, I removed the opportunity
for the user to define their own pid file formats, as we needed to have instance
numbers in order to differentiate the pid files.  That was some time ago.

With your report, it seems as if we have several race conditions on opening interfaces.
On at least one OS, the setuid support kicks in before all the interfaces get opened, and
that of course causes the next open to fail ( no privledges ).  I can fix both of these issues,
just needed to know that it needed to be done.

We have a lazy strategy for opening interfaces,  now, as we want to be able to deal with
interfaces going up and down, and argus needs to be able to go with the flow, close
and reopen its state, based on the state of the interface.  Use to be if you closed the
interface, argus would close its file descriptor, and then never come back to reopen
the interface when it came back up.  Big deal with laptops.  This seems to work,
so let me see if I can fix our pid instance issue.

Do you think you need to change the pid naming convention?

Carter