racluster, rmon and filters

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Jun 15 21:17:31 EDT 2011

Hey Rafael,
This is expected.  ra* program filters are applied on input, before any processing (such as
the "-M rmon" processing) occurs.  With your filter, you end up selecting records where
the src was from the 192.16.0.0/16 network, but nothing is said about the dst addresses.
The "-M rmon" option then promotes all the IP addresses seen (including dst addrs) from
the resulting flows, to the saddr field for processing, which racluster() then faithfully tracks.

Because the "-M rmon" option works for all ra* programs, this maybe a better strategy:

   ra -M rmon -r flows.argus -w - - ip | racluster -m saddr - src net 192.168.0.0/16

The first ra() duplicates only ip flow records, swapping all the identifiers.  This moves
the IP addresses from all the ip flows into the saddr field.  The racluster() then selects
only the flows with src addrs in the 192.168.0.0/16 network for processing.

The second racluster() DOES NOT use the "-M rmon" option.  This is very important.

For racluster() to provide the answer you were expecting, racluster() would need to apply
its filter to flow records after the "-M rmon" processing was done, which is a different data
flow from all the other ra* programs.

Carter