200GB a day

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Aug 5 12:36:41 EDT 2011

Hey Jonathan,
Seriously, I mean that if your monitoring a 100 Mbps link today, and its currently presenting 12 Mbps,
you should not lose any sleep using port mirroring to monitor that 100 Mbps link.

Port mirroring breaks down differently with different vendors products, but the rule of thumb I use is,
if the total mirrored traffic sent to an output port is over 80% of that output ports speed, then you are
probably losing packets some where, depending on how much money you spent on the switch.

For me, its not the speed of the link you are monitoring, its the speed of the output port you are sending your
copied packets to.  If you are monitoring a full-duplex 100 Mbps link, and writing the output to a 1Gbps output
port, you will be fine.  If however, you are sending the potential 200 Mbps load to a 100 Mbps output port,
then you can have collision / contention problems if the total instantaneous load exceeds 70-80 Mbps, and
you'll have monitored packet loss.  If you're just seeing 12 Mbps, you probably (the keyword is probable)
won't have any problems.

That is just a rule of thumb that has worked for me, but its not a fact or truth or the law.

Port mirroring is done in hardware, now a days, and so its not additional "work" for the switch.
It will generate more heat, but it shouldn't negatively impact the functionality of the device.

But Peter and the others are absolutely correct saying that there are limits based on the nature of the
network device, link, traffic etc….

Carter