Argus and rasqlinsert problems

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Tue Apr 19 17:24:29 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 12:30:39PM -0700, Leif Tishendorf wrote:
> Carter,
>
> I think this may be a pure volume problem.  Our normal setup has 3
> instances of argus running on load balanced Dag card channels.  I
> cut out 2 instances so I'm just running the one and, while it hasn't
> been running that long, I'm not experiencing the instant
> rasqlinsert/radium stop responding issue.  Now I'm just not sure how
> to work around that issue.
>
> -Leif

	Its easy to describe your options, its just hard to actually implement
any of them them :-). Basically you either need to speed up the mysql box so
it can keep up with the traffic volume (I'd guess this is going to be hard
although I have no experience with mysql) or spread the load across multiple
boxes until the chain can keep up with traffic. Argus can help with this to
some extent because it will recombine separated flows (such as capturing and
archiving the transmit and receive sides of a fdx flow and then recombing the
two streams in to a single argus file with the complete flow later). I suspect
in the database case, you may need to use filters to split traffic (probably
based on local address as thats what you likely have the least spread in)
across 2 or more database machines till the load on the database machine is
low enough for them to keep up. Unfortunatly you now need to run queries
against more than one database to get all the argus records you want, but at
least you should be able to do so. It should be obvious that a bad traffic
distribution such that all your traffic concentrates on a single mysql box
can still cause an overload and the only way to cure that would be with a
dynamic filter set based on traffic (which doesn't as far as I know currently
exist although I have been thinking about it as the way argus needs to go to
be able to deal with 40 and 100 gig links :-)).
	You could also archive argus records to disk (although doing that fast
enough is neither easy nor cheap :-)) and then feed the database from the
archives later. Obviously this only really works if the traffic has peaks
(you are essentially caching) since if the totol volume is greater than mysql
can handle you will fall behind and lose data. As well it adds latency to the
collection which (assuming you are trying to do detection real time) may not
be acceptable.
	Another option (which Q1 labs did in Qradar) is to switch to a higher
performance database engine to effectively increase the perfromance of the
database. I don't know of any open source projects in this area but there may
well be. It may be worthwhile asking about the status of the CMU eddy (sp?)
project which was trying to put put argus records in to a database. I haven't
heard anything about it in some time, so it may have stalled. Hope this helps
some and good luck (and good funding, as I suspect you will need both :-)).

Peter Van Epp