Argus and rasqlinsert problems

Leif Tishendorf ltishend at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 14:42:33 EDT 2011

Hey Carter,

I've change how we're logging argus data from regular files to a MySQL
DB.  We used to have 3 Argus instances collected by one Radium
instance and then logged to disk by rasplit, and it was all working
fine.  Now everything is the same except instead of rasplit we use
rasqlinsert and instead of logging local rasqlinsert is running on
another system connecting to the radium instance via a private address
direct link.

The first issue I noticed was every few minutes the argus instances
were dieing(not necessarily at the same time) with the following
syslog error:

kernel: [4374754.132368] argus[28333]: segfault at 188 ip
00007f27b7e61f7c sp 00007f27a63e7828 error 6 in
libc-2.12.1.so[7f27b7ddb000+17a000]

Then the second issue we're having is rasqlinsert will work fine and
then we'll see CPU/RAM usage decline over about 30 seconds until it's
eventually no longer inserting new argus records.  We can get it
working again (without touching the running rasqlinsert instance) by
sometimes restarting radium and sometimes restarting the argus
instances and sometimes it takes both.  but after a minute or so it
all happens again.  The crashes don't coincide with the inserts
stopping, although they do sometimes fix it when my monitor scripts
restart the argus instances.

I'm currently running Argus version 3.0.4 and Argus-clients 3.0.5.5

Any ideas on where I should start troubleshooting this?

Thanks,

-Leif