argus 3.0.3 decodes certain UDP packets incorrectly as IPv6

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue Sep 28 09:50:37 EDT 2010

Hey Phillip,
I used the paper as a guide in the original implementation.  Most of the checks that they
have are intended for Teredo receiver discards (packets that don't qualify) but I was trying
to see where someone was doing something bad, and so I can't really not track the bad
packets.

I did attempt to look for Teredo control packets, 1) bubble packets (which is a good indicator),
2) router advertisements (RA) and 3) router solicitation (RS) messages, to serve as a hint,
but I didn't get many cycles this summer to implement it completely.

The games Teredo is playing to discover if its behind a NAT device maybe useful, but
it assumes that you see all the packets at the argus, and that is not a given.

Terry sent some good packets that are not Teredo, so I'll play with it some in the next few weeks.
To turn it off use this patch:

==== //depot/argus/argus/argus/ArgusModeler.c#87 - /Users/carter/argus/argus/argus/ArgusModeler.c ====
676c676
<                      retn = ArgusProcessUdpHdr(model, ip, length);
---
> //                   retn = ArgusProcessUdpHdr(model, ip, length);

Carter