Problems with "-n" option

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Sep 24 13:56:14 EDT 2010

Hey Rafael,
It is possible that the issue is in your filter, rather than the direction of the flows.
ra* programs will use name resolution to see what to use when composing the
filter. So, if you provide names or addresses in your filter, the argus compiler
will try to grab all the addresses returned by bind for that string and create
filter entries for all the returned addresses.

When you provide a "-n" we shouldn't go to bind for resolution, and so.... it maybe
that the actual filter that you are creating is different depending on the "-n".

Run ra() with the -b option, that will dump the compiler output, and we can then compare
the filters when you use and don't use "-n".

Carter