argus fails with Segment Fault

Sunjeet Singh sstattla at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 11:40:02 EDT 2010

   Hi,

I have argus installed and configured and I have used it many a time to
aggregate .pcap packet-level files to connection-level, using this command-

     argus -r packettrace.pcap -w connectiondata.argus

But when I try this on the publicly-available CAIDA's Denial of Service
attack pcap file, it fails with a segmentation fault. The only thing
that is different about this trace is that this trace shows a
Distributed DOS attack on a particular host and contains TCP packets
only related to that host. The size of the trace file is 4.6 MB only,
compared to other huge files that I've successfully argus'ed.

What could be the cause of failure and how can I start debugging this.
There is no more information provided in the error message.

I will greatly appreciate any help that I can get on this.

Thank you,
Sunjeet Singh