Argus Freezes

Dave Edelman dedelman at iname.com
Tue Nov 16 20:06:51 EST 2010

It looks like Argus is being DDoS'd by a SYN flood attack (how Y2k) J

I have used Argus and the tools to analyze more DDoS attack data than I care
to think about.

I read in massive PCAP files with the default parameters with no problem
(the exception is that I have MAC address capture enabled for no reason that
makes any difference here.) The 2GB of memory may be your problem, I
generally am running on a system with 8GB.

In the attacks that we have been seeing recently, SYN flood is usually a
small part of the initial attack and that phase is typically followed by a
main event of Botnet generated HTTP GETS for nonexistent pages. Since that
type of attack  actually does the TCP 3-way handshake it is usually a much
smaller number of flows and the servers fall over in resource exhaustion.
Your mileage will vary, if the attacker doesn't have access to a Botnet,
then she is stuck with SYN flood, ICMP,  or UDP based attacks.

--Dave