Python bindings ?

Phillip Deneault deneault at WPI.EDU
Mon May 17 08:44:32 EDT 2010

I've had good luck with elementtree, but the XML format Argus uses
doesn't really require anything fancy.  The built-in minidom stuff might
work just fine for you.

As to what python brings to the party... basically nothing over what any
other library brings to the party.  It simplifies custom client creation
if there is a handy library available.  I for one would welcome a direct
python library to read in flows from radium/ra or binary files as it
would eliminate lots of extra piping and clockwork mechanisms I use in
my python glue programs, or converting to XML which requires a lot more
overhead than the binary format directly.

I've been playing with this idea myself, but not knowing C very well, it
was a long uphill climb.  In my research, I looked at a tool called
SWIG, which might facilitate building these various libraries based on
the official C code.  SWIG can also handle documentation generation.
http://www.swig.org/.  Maybe that's something someone with more C
knowledge could use.

Thanks,
Phil