Argus vs SiLK

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Jul 28 17:15:48 EDT 2010

Chris,
I think you missed the point.  George used to use YAF+SiLK, but has switched to Argus.
I don't think he is going to switch back this week, but I don't want to talk for George.  He
is very capable, indeed.

For you to say that YAF is "always bi-flow" doesn't really mean that YAF+SiLK users can
work with or process bi-directional flow data.  And it doesn't mean that YAF, in its "bi-flow"
records, contains the semantics that people need from bi-directional monitoring.

YAF has "bi-flow" counters for IP based Type P flows (flows where the IP packet types
are the same on both sides of the flow), but there isn't any bi-directional state that YAF
is tracking or reporting.  Argus supports 14 bi-directional flow models, most of which are
not supported by YAF.  Bi-directional flows like Layer 2 and Sub-layer 3 only flows,
7+ tuple IP application and control plane flows, OSI flows, Infiniband flows, and
of course there are the Type P1/P2 ones, like:

    1) ICMP packets being paired with the flow that caused the ICMP
       packet to be generated.

    2) Broadcast requests being paired with unicast responses, for
       both Layer 2 and Layer 3 flows.

    3) Layer 3/4 flows that have different Layer 2/3/4 encapsulations
       (one side of the flow is, say, IPv4 over ethernet based TEREDO
       [ethernet-IPv4-udp-IPv6-IPv4], the return side is just
       IPv4 over a PPP link).   YAF can do GRE tunnel parsing, could
       YAF match up two halves of a flow, where one is in a GRE tunnel
       and the other side is not?  I don't think it can do that.
       That would seem important though, for network forensics and all.

I'm pretty sure that YAF+SiLK is completely incapable of processing any king of bi-directional
flow data, and so it can't formulate or process forensics queries that are based on network
properties like connectivity, or reachability or availability.  YAF+SiLK can't be used to realize
the state of a network of connected devices, because it does not capture enough information
to reflect the state of a network of connected devices.

I think that is what George was referring to.

It is completely untrue that flow data is so unique that databases can't effectively process it.
I work with the National Center for Data Mining, and they think they can process flow
data without any problems, for a lot less money than what you are touting.

Argus does fine with many SQL systems, and we use MySQL in the distribution, because it
doesn't cost  anything, and its works great for most sites.  Your sponsors spend money
with other groups to do database work with YAF data.   So it is not true that your sponsor
could care less.  They just aren't asking you to do that work.

Carter