Argus newbie

Pallis, Georgios 07001710 at live.napier.ac.uk
Thu Jul 15 09:22:21 EDT 2010

Hello! Finished with setting up my Asterisk servers, so now it's time to move to Argus and performance measurements. You can see my topology in the attached image. VoIP calls (SIP & IAX2) are generated from Asterisk1 to Asterisk2 (upon connection a pre-recorded message is played in both directions). So what I want to do is measure bandwidth, end-to-end delay, jitter and packet loss in the packet flow between the two servers . I 've read the man pages of argus, ra and ragraph as well as the wiki and the documentation provided in the tar files, but I 'm still a bit confused. Mainly I 'm confused with ragraph and the way it generates graphics regarding the metrics I 'm interested in (I 've played a bit with a sample capture, but I did not succeed much). Apparently, I have to run argus with -R option, right? Also, is it the same if I capture data with something like wireshark and then process the pcap file with argus? Thank you for you time.

Kind regards,
George Pallis