how to filter arp, llc, loop, ospf.

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue Feb 9 11:59:27 EST 2010

Hey Pengiran,
When you are having problems, you need to send a complete description of
how you are running the programs, along with a copy of their configuration
files and any command options you are using.

If you want to filter the input to argus(), then you will use a tcpdump() filter.  It is not
the same as the ra* client filter syntax.  Use tcpdump to verify that the filter matches
the packets you are interested in,  and then use the same filter with argus.

If you are using a filter on ra(), you need to make sure that argus is generating
the flows you are interested in, and then apply a filter to ra() that matches those
flows.   If argus is generating flows but the filters don't seem to work, or argus
stops working, try specifying a "local" filter:

   ra -S argus - local proto ospf

This causes the client to do the filtering itself, rather than sending the filter to
argus.  If that works, then argus's compiler may have an issue.

Carter