rafilteraddr issue

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Feb 5 14:03:10 EST 2010

Hey Phillip,
Sorry I haven't responded!!!  So here is where I am on this:

Its not a bug, by default rafilteraddr() matches only exact matches,
and CIDR matches are, of course, not exact matches.

But this, of course, is not what we want.  I believe that I have a solution,
but I need to test it out a bit.

As a work around, I might suggest that you use ralabel() to do what you
want.  As an example, using the sample ralabel.conf and iana-address-file
from the ./support/Config directory in the client distribution, you can take your
address list, and have it insert the label "match" into the flow stream, and
then use ra() to find flows that have the label "match" in them:

   ralabel -f ralabel.conf -r /data/argusinput -w - | ra -M label=match

The ralabel.conf file contains:
   RALABEL_IANA_ADDRESS=yes
   RALABEL_IANA_ADDRESS_FILE="filtertest.txt"

and your filtertest.txt file contains:

   192.168.1.0/24   match

You can make this much more complicated, and so much more than just
filtering with these schemes.   Hopefully it will provide you with a workaround
until I get the fix in. I should have a solution for rafilteraddr() by the weekend?

What do you think?

Carter