hardware for argus with 10GB link

Dave Edelman dedelman at iname.com
Tue Apr 27 07:19:07 EDT 2010

It looks like you got tired of trolling over at the NANOG list and found a
new refuge.

As far as Argus being a security geek tool, yes it works well for security
geeks. It also works well for capacity geeks and those geeks who need to
really understand how systems interact so that they can effectively plan for
continuity of business in the face of various types of failures. By the way,
in this age of fiscal constraint, security geeks who haven't pushed the FUD
button too often still have funding.

Being in the rather enviable position of having fiber optic taps on all 28
of my ISP links, and doing real time capture with the ability to time shift
back for the last hour or so (They are all Gig-E so don't ask me about
faster speeds, yet) I can tell you that running pcap files through Argus and
using the tools to get detials of events is very helpful.

Argus is what you make of it. The platform that supports it and the capture
cards that feed it will evolve over time. If you produce an FPGA based
capture solution you may be part of the Argus story, if not then someone
else's capture solution may be.

By the way, I tend to think of Argus and its clients as tools. A skilled
craftsman can use a high quality tool close to the extent of its
capabilities, a poor craftsman (that's an oxymoron) is not in any danger of
testing the limited of his tools. It's a bit like programming, some
programmers can write a COBOL program in any language.

--Dave