hardware for argus with 10GB link

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Sun Apr 25 22:53:20 EDT 2010

Hey Dave,
The performance that you're reporting sux.  Sorry we haven''t discussed it
before now.  Prior to PCI-Express, bus performance in PC's, regardless of
the core count, was/is pretty terrible even around 200Mbps.

With 16 lane PCI-Express, we should be able to keep up with the speeds
you're talking.  Some newer PC's support 20Gbps Infiniband DDR adapters,
so the board <-> bus <-> memory bandwidth is there.  On-board ethernet
controllers for some of the vendors don't seem to be connected such that they
get full line rate for the 1Gbps they claim to support, others do however.

So, packet capture cards that use the 16 lane PCI-Express slots in newer
computers should be able to go 10Gbps.  If anyone on the list has such a
beast, we can do some performance testing and tuning, to get argus up to
speed.  I'd be happy to help!!!

Hope all ils most excellent,

Carter