hardware for argus with 10GB link

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Sun Apr 25 13:32:49 EDT 2010

Hey Michael,
I have argus's that have been tuned for specific processors that get up to 1.2M pps (Endace
cards in Mac Pro's with dual core G5s), and the trick is, as Dave and Luca have pointed out,
is cache management.  The good performance was done with early versions of argus-3.0,
but before a lot of new parsing features were added.  As we add more and more features to
argus, and add all the new multi-core architectures which have differing cache strategies,
the cache performance can be good or terrible.  Sometimes all it takes is moving a prefetch
of memory a few cycles before a read to make or break great performance at these speeds.

Argus has been ported to Bivio, and Tilera multicore architectures, and performs well in
those environments.  Napatech has an implementation that uses Tilera chips to provide
multiple cores in the capture card, but I have not worked with these cards at all.  I see
around 2-3 Gbps from Endace Ninja probes out of the box.  To get higher, you need to turn
stuff off, like all the newer deep header parsing, jitter,  packet size distribution reporting, tcp
performance, etc.....

At the same time, I've seen slight variations in say a Dell multicore PC really kill performance
on packet processing, and I've seen variations among the exact same devices, so to grab
a box, put say some Endace cards in them, and start processing packets, isn't a guarantee
that it will perform great.

I'd love to work with anyone to make things go faster.  It would be really cool if someone had
some bucks to do it.

Carter