hardware for argus with 10GB link

Michael Sanderson sanders at cs.ubc.ca
Fri Apr 23 15:14:02 EDT 2010

We've recently had our campus network connection upgraded to 10Gb and
are now looking at our options for tapping that connection and getting
argus collecting data again.  We'll be tapping our fibre links with most
likely with NetOptics taps, but we're looking for suggestions of
appropriate 10Gb NICs for our argus "sensor" box.  We definitely won't
be pushing the 10Gb link initially, but I expect that we'll see periods
where we approach 2Gb sustained.

I recall discussion on the list regarding interrupt coalescing on the
network cards generating potential issues due to the way that time
stamps are assigned to packets.  I know that Endance's DAG cards solve
this particular issue by timestamping every packet, but they are
expensive and eat a big portion of my hardware budget.

Does anyone recall the specific issues with interrupt coalescing and
argus?  There will definitely be potential for out of order TCP
connection startup/shutdown.  What is the impact on the flow reporting?

Are there other options to Endance's cards that solve the timestamp
problem, either other vendors or system/kernel configuration?

Thanks,

     Michael Sanderson
     Manager, Computing Facilities
     Department of Computer Science