argus 3 - direction determination algorithm

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue Apr 6 15:58:39 EDT 2010

Hey John,
In argus-3.0, we removed most of the direction logic out of argus, and moved
it into the clients, just for this very situation.  argus-2.x would declare that the
originator of a SYN_ACK packet was the destination, regardless of what was
going on, and we put a lot of complex logic in the clients to try to deal with
that when it was a A.SYN_ACK / B.RESET volley.

You should be getting that A is the source, now, and that B is the destination.
If that is not correct, then, could you send some flow records that demonstrate
the problem, so I can debug?  Better yet, if you had a packet capture, then
I can debug the whole flow thread.  I'll look around for a packet trace, maybe
on

Thanks!!!!

Carter