argus + sasl: does this works?

Peter Volkov pva at gentoo.org
Thu Nov 12 04:29:57 EST 2009

В Втр, 10/11/2009 в 13:57 -0500, Carter Bullard пишет:
> Try this fix to your configure.in file.  This moves the call to CMU_SASL2(V_INCLS)
> above the assignment of $LIBS=...... at line 241,242.

I failed to apply patch but replacement of CMU_SASL2 above LIBS=...
fixes the problem. Thank you.

> I believe that you said your clients compile correctly?

Yup.

BTW, I've noticed that argus-client checks for static GeoIP library.
It's very possible that in Gentoo we'll drop most static libraries and
since argus-client uses dynamic linking I think it's better to check
using standard AC_CHECK* macroses. What do you think about patch in
attachment? It just modifies some tests since some shells do not support
negation of return status and adds check with AC_CHECK* at the top of
all libGeoIP tests.

> With regard to ratop(), it is definitely broken.
>
> I think it happened when I was cleaning something up.  I'll fix that now/today.
> A lot of sites use radium() with SASL to collect flows of interest, and use ratop() to
> connect to the local radium() to see the flows they are interested in.  That tends to
> minimize the number of client->server associations, so most don't use SASL with
> programs like ratop().

> Thanks for the bug report!!!!!!

Thank _you_ for taking a look at this. BTW, argus{,-client}-3.0.2 are in
dev directory. Does this mean that this is development version and we
should use 3.0.0 in Gentoo or is 3.0.2 a safe choice? Also could you
send me patch for this problem or does there exist some VCS (version
control system) repository with argus packages so I'll grub patch from
there?

> I did find a bug in the SASL on Snow Leopard.  Seems that the PPS mech gives
> a segmentation fault, or at least argus() dies in the PPS mech when calling sasl_decode().
> The PPS mech seems to provide SASL access to existing accounts/passwords, so its
> the primary one to use. I'll have to investigate that when I get some time.

I saw your mail while googled for any suggestions to get around my
problems. Heh, but I don't know what PPS means (I suppose this is apple
specific thing, but I'm not sure). Any way for me it's still
questionable why sasl2 ignores argus configuration and still uses
auxprop plugin. Heh, I'll try to get back to this problem soon.

Thank you very much for your help, Carter.

--
Peter.