Question about flow direction classification

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue Nov 10 22:33:25 EST 2009

Hey Matt,
This is a good place to ask whatever questions you have.

The direction indicator is different for the two basic flow types, connection oriented
and connection-less.  For connection oriented flows, it is trying to show you
the initiator of the connection.   This is important, as it helps in understanding the
port numbers and their significance (which port range is the service port in), it also
helps to define the service, whether its a consumer or producer type of service.

For connection-less flows, the direction indicator will show you simply the direction
of packets.

If argus knows the direction for connection oriented flows,  the direction indicator
will be a single headed arrow from initiator (src) to target (dst).  It knows because
its keeps the state of connection establishment.  If it doesn't know (say for TCP, it
didn't see the SYN or SYN_ACK packets) then it will put a '?' in the center, and the
the arrowheads will represent packet directions.  You can get this information from
the status field, but a simple indicator in the center of the flow record output was
a simple visual clue.

No real documentation on architecture, but I'd be happy to answer any question,
 including implementation and the design philosophy etc... on the mailing list.  That
way we capture the topic and any discussions.

Any question is fair game.

Carter