segfault at 000000000311c000 rip 000000000040fb46rsp 0000007fbffff830 error 4

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Sat May 16 16:24:39 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 04:09:07PM -0700, Peter Van Epp wrote:

> 	This looks odd to me. Can you try running gdb and then do
>
> up
> up
> print total
> print offset

<snip>
	Don't bother with this. I believe whats happening is that the parsing
of an input record is corrupting the malloc arena and thus the data when the
seg fault occurs isn't the data that is causing the problem so looking at this
won't help. What may help (although it is likely to cause packet loss on
your collectors) is to add

ARGUS_PACKET_CAPTURE_FILE="/var/log/argus/packet.out"

to your argus.conf file. This will store a copy of the pcap records being
processed by argus in the file (and as noted will likely cause packet loss
on a fast link). When the seg fault occurs one of the last couple of packets
in this file should be the one that is being misprocessed and causing the seg
fault.

Peter Van Epp