Developing an Argus client

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Jun 5 10:36:51 EDT 2009

Hey Harry,
I don't think I answered your earlier questions?
Question #1.  Yes, they represent different metrics for the different
phases of a TCP connection,
and can be controlled using the argus.conf variables.  ARGUS_TCP_PERF
DSR's, are very big,
so we don't want to transport them if we don't have any PERF data to
report.  The
ARGUS_TCP_STATUS, struct is the smallest and contains only the flags
fields.  You will
see these more likely when the clients are converting Netflow records
to Argus records.

The ARGUS_TCP_INIT struct will be seen when you see failed TCP
connections.  I.e.,
SYN -> RST volleys, TCP RST scans, etc..... or when argus() is
configured to not generate
the ARGUS_TCP_PERF dsrs.

  If you have configured argus() to generate ARGUS_TCP_PERF dsrs,  you
can get either
ARGUS_TCP_INIT or ARGUS_TCP_PERF dsrs for the same flow, depending on
many
conditions.

Question #2. I took out ARGUS_NORMAL_CLOSE a while back, because most
Windows
machines weren't closing normally (using fast close strategies), and
so it was confusing
to use the metric.  Tcp normal close was just this filter:

    "tcp and fin and finack"

So you can add that kind of logic to your system, if you like, but
just because a system
sends a RST, doesn't mean it wasn't a healthy, normal TCP connection,
so thats why that
is not there.

Carter