Random question about Argus DSRs

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Aug 12 18:43:43 EDT 2009

Hey Harry,
rasplit() can split the individual records into, say a time based
file.  That is what
its designed to do.  But it doesn't do what you are doing with rabins().

rabins() is aggregating all your records within the 1 hour period, and
the output
you are generating is time sorted.  This is a good data reduction
scheme, assuming
you're not interested in events that occur in the sub-hour range.
But,  if you
were interested in whether any interruptions occurred in your long lived
flows, aggregating them over an hour, generally loses some of that
info (but not all).

Most sites can't run rabins() with a time period of 1h. The get too
many unique flows,
and their collection machines run out of memory.

Many sites generate your output using rasplit() and cron(), or
rastream().  Both rasplit()
and rastream()  asynchronously write records to the output file, as
the records arrive.
If you use rasplit(), you can use cron() to run a script to find the
collection file, and
process it (aggregate, sort, filter, etc....).  This has its issues,
as cron and rasplit are
unaware of each other.

Thus, ....,  rastream().   You tell it how long to wait (-B option),
and the script to run against
the file.    In this case you would have a shell script that runs
racluster().   So, x number
of seconds after the hour, rastream() would fire off a script to
process your collection
file.  There is a sample rastream.sh in the support/Config directory.
This would
generate the same output you're currently getting.

The benefit of doing it this way, is the hourly file is collecting
records as they come in,
so that if you want to know what is happening, you can just read the
file.  The way you're
doing it now, rabins() is holding the data for an hour in memory, and
you can't get to it.
Also, if rabins() fails you lose potentially a complete hour of data.

OK, after all that.  I suspect that rabins() is the culprit, so I'll
have to look into it tonight.
As a work around, I suggest the rastream() method.  I'll walk you
through it, if its a
mystery.

Carter

Carter Bullard