Some problems (bugs?) with argus

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 11:47:28 EDT 2009

Thanks for the info, it was very helpful. The fragments turn out to be
easily filterable by using something like syn or con. It's nice to
know they're not important.

I do have one question: you refer to ArgusReverseRecord() and it does
what it says it does. However, what I'm interested in is: can I tell
from the flow record in which direction SYN or SYNACK went. If I could
determine that then it would be possible to take that into account.

It's easy to reproduce, take the PCAP of any complete TCP connection
and strip out the SYN packet (with editcap for example). If you're
saying it's not possible at all then I'll have to reconsider my
approach (I'm trying to detect services).