gdb data for model....

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Wed Apr 29 01:04:34 EDT 2009

>> 2/ after a few hours the argus server stops writing to disk.  I now
>> have turned off daemon mode and redirecting all output to a file to
>> see if we get any errors logged there.  I know I've seen this before
>> but can't remember what the issue was.

	Assuming you are on Linux (which I think is true) one previous issue
on multprocessors was a kernel/hardware bug (cache problems on the CPU causing
an incorrect time stamp) that was corrected or worked around in a later kernel.
As far as I know we never saw this on our multiprocessor IBM box but before
I retired we did upgrade to a kernel after the fix.

>> I have all but given up on running argus on the OBSD firewall. There
>> is a linux box which sees all the traffic so I have just installed
>> argus there.  Once I have things stable then I will investigate trying
>> to trace connections through NAT.  Roll on IP V6!
>>
>> [several hours later ;)  ]
>>
>> Argus has quit writing the output file... here is what when to
>> stdout/stderr:
>>

>>  ArgusWarning: argus[25297]: 24 Apr 09 13:48:48.754981 started
>>  ArgusWarning: argus[25297]: 24 Apr 09 13:48:48.755375
>> ArgusGetInterfaceStatus: interface em1 is up
>>  ArgusWarning: argus[25297]: 24 Apr 09 15:26:26.965622 ArgusInterface
>> timestamps wayyy out of order: now 1240543586 then 1647440201

	These appear to be timet and the first is likely correct:

 ./timet.pl 1240544424
Thu Apr 23 20:40:24 Canada/Pacific 2009

and the other is very bogus:

 ./timet.pl 1647440201
Wed Mar 16  7:16:41 Canada/Pacific 2022

>>  ArgusWarning: argus[25297]: 24 Apr 09 15:40:24.551463 ArgusInterface
>> timestamps wayyy out of order: now -1472925367 then 1240544424

	This one is worse (and probably a bug as well, timet should be unsigned
as this is presumably 8something hex). It would be interesting to write the
pcap records to a file using the argusrc option and see if the pcap timestamps
are incorrect or if there is an internal time problem somewhere that is
corrupting system time.

Peter Van Epp